Swot analysis of a School. A school is an institution that offers a learning space and environment for the teaching and learning of a student under the guidance of a teacher. Many countries have laid the foundation of a formal education system where schooling is compulsory in some instances.
The system of schooling has designed the education in the form of series of schools. There are different names for different types of schools in different parts of the world. Usually the education of young children, we call it primary school. After finishing primary schooling, teenagers enter secondary schools. Colleges and universities are for higher educations.
Preschools and Kindergarten are for very young children aging from 3 to 5 before primary schooling. The institutions after primary schooling are middle schools or elementary schools.
However, vocational schools and colleges start after secondary schools. Such institutions provide education only in one category and field of studies like dancing, art, business, economics, medicine, or something else.
Private schools or non-government schools come to aid when the government schools don’t provide sufficient or required education. The private schools could religious, non-religious, or institutions having higher standards that would focus on the personal development of a student. However, institutions for adults are business schools, military education, corporate training, or others.
Today, we’ll discuss the swot analysis of a school. It’s going to focus on the internal and external factors that one should consider while evaluating any school or an educational institution. Here’s a swot analysis of a school as follows;
Strengths of a School
The first thing you should do is to write all the strengths and benefits of your school. It’s important that you should know the existing strengths of your school so that you could better analyze and take any improvement actions accordingly. Some of the key elements that you should consider while analyzing the school are as follows;
- Easily accessible location for families to come and visit
- The percentage of students graduating from the school
- A better financial background would help the school to sustain itself in the long term
- The well trained and professional staff of teachers
- A lot of extra-curricular activities for students to occupy their mind like gymnasium, sports ground, in-door sports hall, etc.
- Trust and confidence of other parents in the schooling education system
- The ethical, moral, and open environment of the school for the students to be involved and learn in it
- Has a strong history of organizing different types of events for students
- A strong academic record in terms of school course and syllabus
- Establish a better relationship with other schools and the society
- Keeping the communication channel open among families and parents
- Innovative and creative programs for students
Weaknesses of a School
Sometimes, it’s difficult to find the weaknesses because we tend to overlook or avoid them. But you shouldn’t hesitate to point out the weaknesses. In fact, knowing the weakness and taking precautionary measures are the main reasons behind the success of top schools. Some of the prominent weaknesses of any school that you should consider are as follow;
- Negative reviews and feedback of the students
- Poor scores of students in different tests
- The poor communication channel of the school with students and parents
- A great numbers of students than the school’s management capacity
- Not well-trained staff and faculty
- The school administration doesn’t have time to meet with parents
- The school has insufficient staff and faculty members to manage students
- Reports of online bullying among students of the school
- The school has insufficient funds to launch extra-curricular programs like sports equipment, sports ground, gymnasium, etc.
- Limited or no extra-curricular activities
- Inaccessible transport to visit the school
- Declining enrolment of new students
- A lower retention rate of the students
The school management won’t see them as weaknesses, but they’re a great concern for parents and families.
Opportunities available to a School
The school could turn its weaknesses into opportunities by launching new programs for the development of students and avoiding the negative programs. The new programs would improve the performance of students and bring the appreciation and admiration of parents and families.
New programs show the positive and open attitude of the school towards improvement and getting better. If the school isn’t taking precautionary measures and improving its position, it shows the careless attitude of the school. The opportunities for school are as follows;
- Highlighting the development of the new programs
- Asking the feedback of parents of families and acting on it
- Cutting out some programs in order to move funds
- Finding new investors to launch new programs
- Building a new school committee comprising of volunteers
- Finding ways to minimize the weaknesses
- Motivating parents to check the educational curriculum of students
- Increasing the scope of online education if schools are off
- Increasing the enrolment of students, and decreasing the retention rate
Threats a School has to face
Threats already exist in any environment wherever you’re, and they’re out of the control of the school. Therefore, it’s important that you should be aware of the threats. If you’re aware of it, then you can deal with it accordingly. Some of the main potential threats are as follows;
- The pandemic of covid-19 and lockdown of schools
- Limited funding and investors are pulling their resources
- Workers and employees are striking
- Unsatisfied parents and they’re complaining about it
- Development of the new high school in the area
- Limited internal communication among the parents and school body
- Too much communication causing annoyance
- Poorly planned academic syllabus and extra-curricular activities
- Changing demands of parents and students
School administration should keep these threats in mind while laying out the plan, and they should have a plan to address these challenges.
Conclusion: A School Swot Analysis
After an in-depth study of the swot analysis of a school, we’ve realized that the school or an educational institution plays a significant role in the growth and development of a student. It’s a very important decision for parents and families to choose the right education institute for their child. Therefore, they should keep the above-mentioned internal and external factors in mind while evaluating them.
Ahsan Ali Shaw is an accomplished Business Writer, Analyst, and Public Speaker. Other than that, he’s a fun loving person.